The current Spring Hill Elementary School opened in 1983, but
formal education in Spring Hill actually dates back to 166 years
According to records, the town’s first established learning center was called Willeford’s School, founded in 1817 near Rutherford Creek by mathematician and astronomer William Willeford. It eventually split into Jackson College for boys and Union Seminary for girls.
Several private schools were started in Spring Hill throughout the 1800s and early 1900s, including Beechcroft Academy, Blair School for Girls, Branham and Hughes Academy, Freedman’s School, Rosethorpe School, Spring Hill Female Academy and Spring Hill Male Academy.
The first public education facility was Westview School, an eight grade institution that operated during the late 1800s and early 1900s. It was succeeded in 1921 by Spring Hill School (SHS), which opened where the present-day Tennessee Children’s Home is located.
In 1937, a new Spring Hill School was built on School Street at Duplex Road, providing an education for children throughout the community in grades 1-12. In 1966, SHS added kindergarten classes to its curriculum.
In 1983, students in grades K-5 at SHS transferred to the current Spring Hill Elementary School on Main Street. Middle school and high school students eventually transferred in August 1992 from SHS to the new Spring Hill High School, located on U.S. Highway 31 just south of Saturn Corp.
Spring Hill Elementary is part of the Maury County Adopt-A-School Program in which businesses team up with schools to provide support that is mutually beneficial. Saturn Corporation has been the Adopt-A-School corporate sponsor partner for the school since the 1988-89 school year.
Return to top of