The current Spring Hill Elementary School opened in 1983, but formal education in Spring Hill actually dates back to 166 years earlier.

    According to records, the town’s first established learning center was called Willeford’s School, founded in 1817 near Rutherford Creek by mathematician and astronomer William Willeford. It eventually split into Jackson College for boys and Union Seminary for girls.

    Several private schools were started in Spring Hill throughout the 1800's and early 1900's, including Beechcroft Academy, Blair School for Girls, Branham and Hughes Academy, Freedman’s School, Rosethorpe School, Spring Hill Female Academy and Spring Hill Male Academy.

    The first public education facility was Westview School, an eight grade institution that operated during the late 1800's and early 1900's. It was succeeded in 1921 by Spring Hill School (SHS), which opened where the present-day Tennessee Children’s Home is located.

    In 1937, a new Spring Hill School was built on School Street at Duplex Road, providing an education for children throughout the community in grades 1-12. In 1966, SHS added kindergarten classes to its curriculum.

    In 1983, students in grades K-5 at SHS transferred to the current Spring Hill Elementary School on Main Street.